SSI – Supplemental Security Income

If you have a disability, you may qualify for a program managed by the Social Security Administration. SSI benefits are paid through the United States Treasury general funds and are generally reserved for people who have low income and few resources.  Children who are blind or disabled can also receive SSI benefits.  The basic amount of benefits are the same nationwide, but some states may add money to the basic benefit.  At Kassin & Carrow, we want to help you receive the maximum benefit possible.

Receiving SSI depends on things like your income and resources.  Wages, Social Security benefits and pensions all count as income.  In addition, food and shelter benefits may count as income. If you are married, part of your spouse’s income and resources may be considered. If you are a student, some of the wages and/or scholarships may not count.

If you are blind, Social Security does not count wages that you use for work expenses.  For example – using wages to pay for transportation to and from work are not counted as income. Also, some of the income you use for training or purchasing items needed to work may not count.

Social Security doesn’t count everything you own. Things that are generally not counted are:

  • Life insurance policies with face value less than or equal to $1,500
  • Your car in most cases
  • Burial plots for  you and members or your immediate family
  • Burial funds up to $1,500 for you and $1,500 for your spouse
  • Your residential home you live in and the land it is on

You may also qualify for SSI benefits:

  • If you live in a public institute while attending approved job or educational training
  • If you live in a public emergency shelter designated for the homeless
  • If you live in a private or public institution and more than half of the cost of your care is paid by Medicaid
  • If you live in a public community residence serving no more than 16 people

When we officially apply for benefits and to process your application quickly, we will need:

  • Your Social Security number
  • Information about your home – mortgage, lease, and landlord’s name
  • Birth certificate or other proof or your age
  • Payroll stubs, insurance policies, bank statements/records, and other information about income and resources
  • We will need the names, address, and telephone number of doctors, hospitals, and clinics that have treated you
  • Proof of citizenship in the United States or eligible noncitizen status

Kassin & Carrow is here to assist you every step of the way. Remember, you never pay a fee unless we win your case.